Here are my most common uses for cinnamon in the home & garden. I love cinnamon and now I have more reason to use it.
1) Seedlings. The term dampening off covers a range of diseases and that attack a seed/seedling either before or after germination and cause the seedling to die. They can be caused by several different fungus and soil conditions. A few years back I read that if you dust the soil with cinnamon it will prevent dampening off. I’ve been doing it since with great results! (this also gets rid of those little gnats that somehow appear around seedling trays) (Debbie: I’m trying this right now. Today was beautiful outside, and I started some seedlings – carrots, spinach, tomatoes, and bell peppers. I can’t wait to see if it works.)
2) Wild mushrooms. Nothing worse then having to waste a beautiful day pulling mushrooms from the mulch in my flower beds. Mushrooms are fungus though, and by dusting cinnamon all over the mulch it helps to control mushroom growth.
3) Rooting hormone. Much cheaper then the chemical stuff they sell in the big box store and just as effective! Just apply cinnamon powder to the stem when you plant the cutting.
4) Ant deterrent. Ants do not like cinnamon! Sprinkle it in your greenhouse or around your garden beds. It will not kill the ants, but they will stay away from it. Sprinkle it by your doors if ants are coming into your house. They really hate to cross a line of cinnamon!
5) Plant wounds. Overzealous pruning or a slip of the weed whacker and you’ll have a plant with a wound that needs fixed up. Simply dust cinnamon on the wound to encourage healing and prevent fungal infection at the same time.
6) House plants. Cinnamon get’s rid of molds and mildew in house plants too. Simply sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on the soil. It will also get rid of gnats if you happen to have them buzzing around your house plants. These are the same gnats seedlings get, the cinnamon destroys the fungus they feed on and they will die.
Source: Feathers in the woods: Spice it up! Why plants love cinnamon
Let the Schwanbecks Exceed Your Expectations!
We would love an opportunity to assist you in your real estate needs – anywhere in the DFW metroplex or whether you want a lake home in East Texas. Click here to view our website. Click here to learn more about Cedar Creek Lake.
| Debbie and Bruce Schwanbeck, Realtors at Ebby Halliday Realtors DebbieS@ebby.com BruceS@ebby.com 469.283.8656 |